All graphics and images are copyright of A True Church
Tapes and Written Material No Longer Available & Why
Last edited, October 2016
Because Scripture is of no private interpretation (2 Peter 1:20), and Darwin Fish is not infallible, James 3:1-2 (yet, the Word is, Psalm 19:7), the following is given to document some of what has been corrected and discarded and why. Throughout the years, some tapes were edited and others discarded that could have been saved by editing, but our editing capabilities are primitive and time consuming. It is easier to simply discard the tape. In fact, it is for this reason we no longer supply tapes, because of the difficulty of editing. Written material is much easier to edit.
We have learned much throughout the years (Psalm 141:5), thus we are forced by Scripture to change and repent. Such living is the way of life.
For the commandment is a lamp, and the law a light; reproofs of instruction is the way of life. (Proverbs 6:23).
This documentation not only exemplifies the changes, but also our desire to walk in the light (1 John 1:5-6) and to conform to the Word of God (Proverbs 3:5-6). Also, this document does not include any editing that has been done throughout the years, and there have been several.
Considering that the following documents some of Darwin Fish's errors (false teaching), what is different about Darwin Fish and the men he exposes? The difference is "the way of truth" (2 Peter 2:2) verses "the spirit of error" (1 John 4:6).
There is a huge difference between someone who is on an entirely false way (the broad way, Matthew 7:13-14), a false religion (false Christianity), and someone who is in the truth (true Christianity, which is true Judaism, Romans 2:28-29). One is completely caught in lies and deception, idolatry/demons, and false religion. The other is in the Truth (John 14:6), knows in part (1 Corinthians 13:9), and is growing in knowledge (2 Peter 3:18). As it says in Proverbs 9:9,
Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser. Teach a just man, and he will increase in learning. (See also Proverbs 1:5).
A fool and a scoffer (synonymous terms, e.g. Proverbs 9:7/14:3/17:21/21:24/Psalm 10:4/14:1), that is, someone caught in false Christianity, will not increase in learning (Proverbs 14:6; 17:10, 16; 27:22). Their heart is darkened (Romans 1:21-22; Ephesians 4:18), and they know nothing (as in 1 Timothy 6:4). Because, the beginning of knowledge is the fear of the Lord (Proverbs 1:7). The men we expose and those involved in false Christianity do not fear God, thus they have not even begun to have knowledge, because they "despise wisdom and instruction" (Proverbs 1:7). Therefore, the "knowledge" they appear to have is only part of the Satanic deception (Revelation 12:9) to create the delusion that they are in the truth. But, actually, they twist all of the Bible (2 Peter 3:16), and they hate the Truth and are pawns of the devil (e.g. 2 Timothy 2:26).
Therefore, there is a massive difference between those caught in false Christianity and those in the Truth. The liars (1 John 2:4), the false teachers, are simply propagating their lies, their false religion, and will only grow worse (2 Timothy 3:13). True believers, who will be wrong on occasion, correct their errors (Proverbs 6:23; 9:9) and grow in truth (2 Peter 3:18).
Now, some may argue that we should confront the false teachers we expose so that they might have an opportunity to "consent to wholesome words" (1 Timothy 6:3). The problem with this is, as we have already noted, they "despise wisdom and instruction" (Proverbs 1:7). Therefore, it would be a futile effort. Proverbs 9:8 commands us, "Do not correct a scoffer." Likewise, Jesus instructed not to privately confront them (Matthew 7:6). Sadly, we once did what we are often exhorted to do (that is, privately confront these false teachers), and it was only to our own hurt, as Christ warned (Proverbs 9:7; Matthew 7:6).
In 1994 we confronted John MacArthur personally on his false teaching, and he did exactly what Jesus said he would do. He trampled under foot the truth we gave him by completely refusing to discuss with us any of the doctrinal issues that we raised, and turned and tore us to pieces via a man named Phil Johnson. You can read more about this fiasco in our artile entitled Our Side Of The Story.
Furthermore, the first year (1993) of tapes and unedited written material up until the exposure of John MacArthur as a false teacher (February, 1994), have been discarded. Although we were in the process of exposing falsehood within the prevailing false Christian world during that first year (e.g. the evil of Christmas; Dobson as a false teacher), best we can tell, we were still on this broad way (Matthew 7:13-14). Therefore, we discarded the first year of tapes.
Finally, this list contains only those tapes or written material that have been discarded because of doctrinal issues. Tapes that have been discarded for any other reason are not documented here. Also, it is quite possible we have discarded a tape or not listed a tape that was discarded because of error, but those listed here well exemplify changes that have been made.
1. A Message To Those Left Behind (3-20-94); He Is Coming (7-24-94); When Is The Rapture? Part 1 & 2 (11-20-94 & 11-27-94); and Pre-wrath/2 Thessalonians 2:1-8 (12-1-94), and also the book, The Coming Of Our Lord Jesus. - All of these have been discarded due to the fact that they were taught from a Pre-tribulational Rapture position. It has since been learned that a Pre-tribulational Rapture (a Rapture at the very beginning of those last seven years) is contrary to what is revealed in 2 Thessalonians 2:1-4. This error was publicly exposed on the tape, The Rapture Revisited (8-3-95).
2. The Rapture Revisited (8-3-95) and When Is The Rapture (8-6-95). - Both of these messages were preached from a perspective that we cannot know when the Rapture (1 Thessalonians 4:15-17) will happen. Since these studies, it has been seen from 2 Thessalonians 2:1-4 that Paul says that the coming of Christ (which is equal to the Rapture; our gathering together with Him" - 2 Thessalonians 2:1) cannot come until the apostasy comes first and the man of sin is revealed. This indicates that the Rapture will not happen until at least the mid-point of those last seven years, either immediately following the apostasy, or sometime thereafter. Therefore, a general timing of the Rapture (from 2 Thessalonians 2:1-4) can be obtained.
3. What Is Happening To The Church? (2-17-94) - On this tape an over-statement was made regarding Dobson that he is "the worst enemy of our soul". "One of the worst enemies of our souls" would have been fine. Also, it was said that MacArthur was "coming out" of the psychological deceit he was caught in. Actually, this is only by way of appearance. The man is still caught. His "Biblical Counseling" is one example of his entrapment.
4. Should Christians Be In Debt? (5-5-94) - On this tape Darwin erroneously separated borrowing from lending. Also, the tape gave the impression that indebtedness was sin (in and of itself), which is not true. On 11-30-97 the error on this tape was publicly exposed in the message "Debt & My Error." For info on Debt, see our written report.
5. No Resurrection? An Absurd Thought! (4-3-94) - There were quotes from John Owen and Richard Sibbs in a favorable light. At the time, Darwin did not realize these men were false teachers.
6. The Futile Inheritance, 1 Peter 1:18-19 (3-13-94) - The holiday of New Year's was addressed in such a way as to strongly imply that it would be wrong to celebrate the holiday in any way (See the tape "The Holidays" for further explanation). Also, there were some issues addressed that should have been better clarified. Specifically, the O.T. festivals and the Rose Parade are mentioned without any clarification as to their lawfulness.
7. Ruth (4-3-97) - On this tape, the subject of a single woman working outside the home was erroneously put in a positive light.
8. The Antichrist (8-11-96) - In this it was suggested from Daniel 8 that Antichus Epiphanes may be the Antichrist. Since this study, we have seen that Judas is given the same title the Antichrist is given ("the son of perdition", John 17:12; 2 Thessalonians 2:3; 1 John 2:18-19), although this is not conclusive.
9. Believers In God, 1 Peter 1:21 (4-24-94) - The exhortation on this tape to have a baby at home went overboard stating there was no reason to have a baby in a hospital, if there were no known problems.
10. Sodom, Gomorrah, & Lot, 2 Peter 2:6-8 (11-23-97) - Ezekiel 16:46 was misused. The "Sodom" in Ezekiel 16:46 refers to the area south of Jerusalem, not the "Sodom" destroyed in Genesis 19.
11. Ministry Update (4-21-94) - Darwin was considering going to Indiana and starting a church with Rick Miesel. Darwin considered this because of the "provision" that was there. In retrospect, Darwin felt this was not a good motive.
12. Please Remember! (8-24-97) - The answer given to the question, "If you followed a stranger (John 10:5), did this mean you didn't know God?" was "Maybe, maybe not." That is not true! John 10:5 clearly says His sheep will not follow a stranger.
13. Fearing Our Father 1 Peter 1:17 (3-6-94) - This tape had a quote from John Brown as though he was someone godly who could be quoted.
14. His Plan & His Love 1 Peter 1:20 (4-17-94) - This tape had a quote from A. T. Robertson, who is caught in the false Christianity of this age.
15. The New Birth 1 Peter 1:23 (5-15-94) - On this tape it is stated that we often can't know what is going on with people's hearts. In the context this is stated, it is not true. We can often know (based on the Word of God). It was said that if someone was in opposition, it was not clear if such a one was born again or not. This is wrong (2 Timothy 2:24-26). Also, it was said that Psychology is racking havoc in the "church". This should have been "false church".
16. All Flesh Is As Grass 1 Peter 1:24 (5-22-94) - Near the beginning of the tape, Darwin went beyond the text (Genesis 3) stating that the woman down played God's word by saying "lest you die" and not mentioning "you shall surely die". This is not necessarily down playing God's word. It may simply have been her paraphrase (perhaps).
17. Set Apart From False Teachers (2-27-94) - On side 2 it was stated that someone sitting under a false teacher isn't necessarily lost. The problem with this is, they are, if they are following or not fleeing (John 10:5).
18. Are We Valuable To God? - In this tape Jeremiah 13:1-10 was misused for showing the worthlessness of the sinner. Note verse 10 "shall be". Here He is speaking of what they "shall be" made into (i.e. profitable for nothing). In other words, the "worthlessness" in this text focuses on the future, not the present.
19. Yes, God Is Angry (6-5-94) - There were quotes from Johnathan Edwards who was a false teacher (e.g. he taught a limited atonement & postmillinialism).
20. The End Of All, 1 Peter 4:7 (10-29-95) - At the beginning of the tape a letter from Doug Bennet is read in which it spoke well of the Bobgans and also did not rightly acknowledge the truly "perilous times" we are in (2 Timothy 3:1).
21. Shepherds Of The Land (5-19-94) - It was said that Hal Lindsey "tends to be ecumenical." The truth is, he is ecumenical. Also, the Bobgan's book on the temperaments was recommended without any warning about the Bobgans.
22. How To Deal With The Rebellious Son (9-1-94) - An extensive quote was given from John R. Rice's booklet Correction & Discipline of Children. Mr. Rice was not in the truth, but was on the broad way (Matthew 7:13-14). He believed a man could actually be involved in the Masonic log and yet be a true believer in Christ (documentation available upon request).
23. The Biblical Role For Women, Part 2 (7-7-94) - On this tape it was taught that the head covering of 1 Corinthians 11 was concerning public situations. The problem is, the text says nothing about private or public situations.
24. Do We Pray For The Wolf? (11-30-95) - Darwin interpreted Jude 22-23 as pertaining to the "certain men" of Jude 4. This is wrong. This error was exposed on 8-1-99 on the tape, "Jude, Part 2."
25. Our Responsibility Before God (3-27-94) - Quoted Charles Hodge and mentioned several commentators (Calvin, Gill, Fausset, Pool, Henry, Hodge, Spurgeon, and The Preacher's Homiletic Commentary) giving no warning of them being on the broad way (Matthew 7:13).
26. Biblical Role of Women (7-17-99) - It was left to the conscience whether a woman should have her head covered or not when she silently prays with other believers.
27. Biblical Role For Women, Part 3 (7-14-94) - On this tape it was argued wrongly against 1 Corinthians 11:15 ("her hair is given to her for a covering"). Also, it was said of 1 Corinthians 11:6 that a woman without a head covering would be "looking and acting like a man". This is not what Paul says. Also, regarding 1 Corinthians 11:3, it was argued that if a woman worked for another person outside the home she would have two heads. This is going beyond what is written (1 Corinthians 4:6; Proverbs 30:5-6)
28. Dare You Miss The Obvious (5-12-94) - Quoted Spurgeon and John Owen.
29. How To Deal With Sin (3-31-94) - The subject of alcohol was not dealt with accurately, mainly, that any kind of influence from an alcoholic beverage would be sin. Scripture does not teach this. Drunkenness is indeed sin, but a mild influence does not equate intoxication (Psalm 104:15). For a Biblical discourse on alcohol, please see our report on this subject.
30. Essentials, Part 3 (9-18-94) - It was recommended that the book, Evils of Infant Baptism, by Rob't Boyte C. Howell, be read. Darwin would no longer recommend this.
31. When & How To Rebuke (8-4-96) - On this tape it was erroneously stated that we would not want to be rebuked publicly in the midst of the fellowship. This is not consistent with Psalm 141:5.
32. How Should We Then Live (11-5-95) - Darwin said he was saved in the context of 1980 and on. This is contrary to John 10:5, since Darwin was following MacArthur (a false teacher) for years.
33. Beyond Hope (6-23-94) - In speaking of Luke 18:18f, a reason why Jesus referred to law was given. The text gives no reason why. Also, a clear distinction was not made when speaking of the "Christian" community, that most of it is false.
34. Forsaking The Assembling (6-26-97) - It was said regarding Hebrews 10:25 that "as the manner of some" is not referring to antichrists (1 John 2:19). It appears the "some" could very well be speaking of antichrists, or at least inclusive of them, especially since the following verse speaks of Antichrist behavior.
35. 1 John 3:4-10 (11-27-99) - It was taught regarding 1 John 3:4 & John 8:34 that "the wording here is not "lives in sin, walks in sin," or "practices sin." It simply says "commits sin." This was erroneous. The Greek could well be translated these ways.
36. Mark Minnick (9-23-99) - A point was made about "passive rebellion" that should not have been made. Also, a subjective statement was made regarding how much Scripture Minnick used that was not accurate. What should have been said is that Minnick made several statements that were not backed up with Scripture, and were actually against the Word of God.
37. Pearls Before Swine (4-9-95) - Darwin said he was saved in the context of when he was following MacArthur. This is contrary to John 10:5 and Matthew 7:13.
38. Reminding, 2 Peter 1:12-15 - The statement "familiarity breeds contempt" was given without any Scriptural backing. Also, this concept was used in describing the church of Laodicea (Revelation 3). This went beyond what is written.
39. Honor Your Father & Mother (8-18-94) - It was stated on this tape that alcohol would not be bought in a market in concern for bringing reproach. We have since changed our view on this (Psalm 104:14; Matthew 11:19; John 2; Ephesians 5:18; 1 Timothy 5:23). See our report on alcohol and on smoking.
40. Catholicism's Demonic Activity (6-8-95) - It was said of Exodus 32:1 that it could be and should be translated "God" instead of "gods." This is not true due to the plural Hebrew verb.
41. MacArthur's Teaching Re-examined (2-24-94) - At the beginning of this tape it was said "that much of MacArthur's teaching is sound theologically." This statement is no longer something we would say, because we now know MacArthur is destitute of the truth (1 Timothy 6:3-5, see our report on MacArthur). Moreover, the tape ends with the indication that we were going to confront MacArthur on his error. This we foolishly did (Matthew 7:6), but would never want to encourage anyone else to do the wrong that we did.
42. Maintaining Doctrinal Unity (4-30-95) - It was said on this tape that we would tolerate someone in our midst who believed differently on Scriptural issues so long as they did not cause a division or offense. This is contrary to John 8:47; 1 Corinthians 5:12-13; 2 Timothy 2:20-22; 1 John 2:4 & 4:6. For more info on unity, see our written report.
43. Biblical Role For Men (7-28-94) - It was said on this tape that it appears (and seems) that a part of the curse (Genesis 3) is that man was placed in authority over woman, as if to imply this was not so before the fall. This is contrary to 1 Timothy 2:13. For more info on men, see our written report.
44. Divorce & Re-marriage (8-4-94) - It was taught on this tape that a believer should never divorce their spouse, not acknowledging the truth of 1 Corinthians 7:12-13, 15. For more info on this see our report on divorce).
45. Angels (1-18-98) - It was stated that Christ appears in the Old Testament in human form but the Father does not. This can not be substantiated Biblically. Moreover, speculation was made about angels appearing in different forms. Speculation is not profitable.
46. Children Are A Blessing (4-17-99) - This teaching did not mention a viable option of birth control under certain circumstances, and this was a serious neglect. Although it was never explicitly stated, this tape strongly implied birth control should never be used.
47. SHOULD CHRISTIANS BE IN DEBT? (12-5-98) and DEBT, TURNING AWAY, & "STRESS" (1-7-99) - On both tapes Philemon 18-19 was used as an example of a godly debt in the context of speaking of Romans 13:8. Yet, there is nothing in Philemon indicating that this was a continual obligation (like in Romans 13:8). Therefore, it should not be assumed that Paul's assumption of Onesimus' debt was a continual obligation. For more info, see our report on Debt.
48. The Lord's Supper (8-11-94) - There was a point made on this tape that was trivial. The use of a small cup and cracker was criticized stating something to the effect that "it's the Lord's supper, not the Lord's snack." This criticism should not have been made.
49. Training & Releasing Children (4-24-99) - It was not stated, but it was wrongly implied, that a man could not leave home for any reason other than marriage or the work of the Lord.
50. Fantasy, Godly Or Ungodly? (10-6-94); Fantasy II (10-13-94) - Although the fantasy spoken of on the first tape was all evil, fantasy (or fiction) was addressed in such a way that it was perceived to be evil in and of itself, which is incorrect (Ecclesiastes 3; e.g. 1 Samuel 21:10-15).
51. Holiness (4-3-99) - It was wrongly taught that masturbation was a sin. This was corrected about a year later and an article was eventually written on it. See Masturbation.
52. The following was sent out on November 15 & 16, 2006 to those whom we had record had received a copy of the book False Teachers:
Since you received a copy of my book on False Teachers, I thought I should let you know and ask you to edit (black out) a section in the book. I just recently noticed I wrongly accused MacArthur of error in the chapter "The MacArthur Study Bible" under IV. Adds To The Word. After a short section about Genesis 16:3, the following is the section that should be blotted out:
Another example can be found in Deuteronomy 23:18 where Scripture says,
You shall not bring the wages of a harlot or the price of a dog to the house of the Lord your God for any vowed offering, for both of these are an abomination to the Lord your God.
Deuteronomy indicates a dog was something that may be bought or sold ("the price of a dog"). Yet, MacArthur is blind to this simple truth and perverts this passage saying,
23:17,18 Prostitution as a form of worship was forbidden. "Dog" was a reference to male prostitutes (cf. Rev. 22:15).
Neither Revelation 22:15 nor any other Scripture bears witness that the term dog was a reference to a male prostitute. The term dog is indeed used in Scripture for wicked people (e.g. 2 Samuel 9:8; 16:9; Psalm 22:16; Proverbs 26:11; Isaiah 56:10-11; Matthew 7:6; 15:26-27; Mark 7:27-28; Philippians 3:2; Revelation 22:15), but it is never used specifically for male prostitutes, not even in the verse MacArthur cites to support his claim (Revelation 22:15).
Although MacArthur gives no good reason to believe what he is saying is true, he is correct in saying dog refers to a male prostitute. This is not because of Revelation 22:15. That passage gives no further insight. But, in Deuteronomy 23:17 "harlot" is the Hebrew word Qadêshah (female temple prostitute), from the word for holy (Qadosh), and "perverted one" (NKJV) is the Hebrew word "Qadêsh" (male temple prostitute). NKJV footnotes these Hebrew words.
The following verse (vs 18) forbids using the wages of these same people. This is evident simply by context. In this next verse (vs 18) synonyms are used for the same people. The Hebrew word zonah (feminine participle, meaning one who commits harlotry) is used for the same "harlot" (Qadêshah) being spoken of in the prior verse (vs 17), and the [masculine] Hebrew word celev (dog) is used for the Qadêsh, the male temple prostitute mentioned in the prior verse.
So, please forgive my error and correct, if you will. Thanks.
53. From: Darwin
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 11:18 PM
Subject: Women and God's Image
Back in June of 2007 you wrote us (email@example.com) regarding our statement in our article on Mormonism (www.atruechurch.info/mormonism.html) in which I wrote, "Nowhere does Scripture teach that woman was created in God's image." You said, "I disagree with your statement that women do not have God's image" and you used Colossians 3:10 to prove women do indeed have God's image. At the time, I did not agree that women were created in God's image. Please forgive me. I was wrong.
I recently came to this conclusion based on a look at Genesis 5:2. There it says, "He created them male and female, and blessed them and called them Mankind in the day they were created." The Hebrew word here translated "Mankind" is אָדָם ('âdâm). It is the same exact word for the first man's name, "Adam" (e.g. Genesis 4:25). It is also the same exact Hebrew word translated "man" in Genesis 1:26. When Genesis 5:2 says the Lord called them Mankind, it is saying He called them "man" (or "Adam"), that is, both the male and the female.
Moreover, Genesis 5:2 says He called them man [אָדָם ('âdâm)] "in the day they were created." Genesis 1:26 bears witness to this as it says, "Let Us make man [אָדָם ('âdâm)] in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them . . . ". Here Genesis 1:26 records on that day He created both the male and the female how He called "them" both "man," because He says, "Let Us make man . . ., let them." The only "them" in the context is the "male and female" of the next verse (verse 27). Clearly, God is calling both the man and the woman "man," and therefore, they both (man) were made in His image. Thus, indeed, Genesis 9:6 and James 3:9 are true and applicable to both male and female.
Finally, speaking of 1 Corinthians 11, you wrote in your email, "Nowhere in that passage is their any indication that women as the 'glory of man[kind]' are not in God's image." You were/are correct. This is true. Yet, there is nonetheless a distinction made in 1 Corinthians 11 between men and women. Man there is explicitly called the image and glory of God, whereas the woman is called "the glory of man" (1 Corinthians 11:7). This, nevertheless does not take away the fact (as you well pointed out) that women also are indeed made in His image as well.
Please forgive me for this error.
Everyone will be held accountable and be judged by His word (Hebrews 4:12-13). Even those not having the actual written word (e.g. Romans 2:12) will be judged nonetheless by the written word, because it is written upon their hearts (Romans 2:14-15).
For the Truth (John 14:6), I have edited out the bold. I realized some time ago (but was not aware of this blog post until just a few days ago) that this is a misuse of Romans 2:14-15, since Romans 2:13-15 is speaking of a saved person (as in Jeremiah 31:33/Hebrews 8:10).
55. On 2-10-2015 the following email (edited slightly) was sent out:
But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am; but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn. (1 Corinthians 7:8-9)
[For more on this subject, see Let Them Marry.]